Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Introduction - Mindy

Greetings All!

It’s me Miss Mell! On the Facebook group page I go by Mindy Zea Morrison.

I’ve been stitching for 30 year! Yup, you read that right, 30 years. The earliest memory I have involves me “stitching” with yarn and a yarn needle on plastic canvas while my mother and the other ladies of the church sat together and worked on their needlework. I can honestly say that I have been stitching most of my life. When I was 5 I received my first “true” cross stitch kit, it was a little teddy bear that could be finished as an ornament. In fact it still hangs on our Christmas tree every year. It only took me 3 days to do. After that I went big. My next project after that was a Precious Moments entitled “Telegram”. It took me a year to complete but complete it I did, and I was hooked.

Now just because I’ve been stitching for 30 years doesn’t mean that I have walls covered in framed pieces or FFOs displayed everywhere. In fact I only have 4 pieces framed and displayed, year round, in my house. Two of them are my children’s birth samplers. I do plan on changing that though and getting more of my work on display in my home.

I know that one question I get asked a lot is “How/why did you start making videos of your stitching?” It all starts with the first video I made and then the first video I watched. The first video I made was a slide show of all of the finishes and WIPS I had at the time. I posted it first to Facebook as a way for my family to see everything. On a whim I posted it to YouTube and was astonished when it started getting views and then subscribers. Unfortunately that video is not viewable in the US or any US territories due to copyright. Then the day came that I watched a cross stitch video on YouTube. It was a video of JelliclesForever. I sat there completely amazed that someone was putting more than just makeup videos on YouTube. From her channel I discovered a couple of others that were also doing the same and decided that I was going to do it too. That same day I made my first “FlossTube” video.


A few months into making and watching videos I discovered Wonderfully Hopeless (Charity/Hope). I found out that she had a group on Facebook called “Cross Stitch, It’s Fun!” I joined the group and started having fun with posting of WIPS and finishes. I was really enjoying the community feel the group has. Soon Charity started doing the hang outs. I remember the first one I joined, I was on bed rest and bored. In all honesty I was nervous joining the hangout; I mean I didn’t really know everyone, I just “knew” them from watching their videos and looking at their posts in the group. That fear was soon put to rest after the warm greeting I received when I logged in. After a while of regularly participating in the hangouts and being active in the group, Charity asked me if I wanted to become a MOD. And I guess you can say the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment